Wednesday 16 February 2011

Texture Baking

After deciding it was necessary to texture baking certain static objects in the scene in order to cut down on the excessive rendering times of VRay, I decided that the most important geomatry to focus on was the walls, roof, and floor, as this is where the most noticable shading takes place. Using a VRaySelfIllumination map as the texture, i was able to apply the bake to the corresponding objects. I then had to ensure that any lights within the Scanline scene now excluded the walls, roof, and floor, as they already have shading baked into them. Once changed back to the Scanline renderer, I was able to apply a simple glass material as well, almost completing the texturing stage of this assignment. Here is a side by side comparison of the baked C010 room with a reference photograph.

I feel that the lighting in the room is true enough to the original and this was made easier by my standardised use of the metric unic that I used throughout the modelling stage.

Through the use of VRay texture baking I successfully lowered the rendering time from 6 minutes to 4 seconds, with a minor deffect on quality; this was a definate hurdle in the production of this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment